Salary: Competitive plus benefits including pension and share options
Location: Babraham Research Campus, Cambridge, UK
Type: Permanent, Full time Start: Immediate
Closing date: 12th February 2021
The Technology Development Team at DefiniGEN is seeking an experienced, highly motivated individual for the role of Senior Scientist with a focus on hepatocytes and functional bioassay development. The Technology Development team are responsible for the delivery of complex projects on behalf of our clients. The successful candidate will be responsible for applying their scientific expertise of hepatocytes to expand our products portfolio.
The Senior Scientist will be responsible for identifying, designing, and validating bioassays to evaluate the activity of therapeutics in the DefiniGEN hepatocyte disease modelling platform.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop phenotypic and mechanistic assays to validate liver-related disease models.
- Design and lead the execution of well-controlled in vitro experiments to evaluate therapeutic compounds in liver disease models (at low- to high throughput scale).
- Identify and develop future liver disease models to expand the product portfolio.
- Optimisation of directed differentiation protocols to generate hepatocyte-like cells from iPSCs (2D and 3D formats).
- Provide technical advice, guidance and mentoring to less experienced members of the team.
- Act as the company expert for client-specific and internal project development troubleshooting related enquiries.
- Represent the business in client meetings and at scientific conferences.
- An advanced degree (M.Sc or Ph.D.) in biological science or related field, with 3+ years of experience conducting liver biology related studies (E)
- Experience in maintaining and differentiating iPSC lines into hepatocyte-like cells (E)
- Strong track record of successful cell-based assay development to support drug discovery platform and compound screening (E)
- Familiarity with monogenic rare disease research and genetic models of disease (D)
- Familiarity with gene engineering tools and technologies (CRISPR/Cas9, ZFNs, etc.) and gene delivery (AAV vectors, etc.) (D)
- Familiarity with the use of automation for cell-based bioassays (D)
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-science environment (E)
E – Essential, D - Desirable
This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in pursuing a leadership career in dynamic environment. In return you will be offered an excellent salary and benefits package. Applicants should apply by sending their cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
DefiniGEN is a fast-growing provider of iPSC-derived human cell disease models and services to optimize preclinical research and accelerate therapies into the clinic. Our cutting-edge technology platform can generate predictive disease model human cells to support drug discovery, especially in orphan (rare) indications where no preclinical research models exist, and for global areas of metabolic disease research such as diabetes and NAFLD. The company uses CRISPR-gene editing to manipulate the genome of the iPSC, then differentiates the stem cells into biologically relevant human diseased cells for screening and preclinical development.
Located in beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our stem cell laboratories and office facilities on the Babraham Research Campus provides employees with a stimulating environment where the pursuit of scientific innovation and delivery underpin each role.