Salary: Competitive plus benefits including pension and share options
Location: Babraham Research Campus, Cambridge, UK
Type: Permanent, Full time Start: Immediate
Closing date: 12th February 2021
The Technology Development Team at DefiniGEN is seeking an experienced, highly motivated individual for the role of Gene Editing Senior Scientist. The Technology Development team are responsible for the delivery of complex gene editing projects and the development of innovative services. The successful candidate will be responsible for applying their extended scientific expertise of CRISPR gene editing to expand our services portfolio.
The Senior Scientist will act as the company expert for client-specific and internal project development troubleshooting related enquiries. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in gene editing, both single and genome-wide, and must be skilled in cell biology, molecular biology, and analytical techniques. Additionally, they will be familiar with high-throughput screening/automation techniques and possess strong assay development skills for the development of complex screening assays.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct complex CRISPR gene editing projects on behalf of our clients.
- Act as the company expert for client-specific and internal project development troubleshooting related enquiries.
- Plan, execute and implement new gene editing approaches and provide training to other members of staff.
- Establish and implement in-house high quality, robust and well characterised CRISPR Screening Services (mid to high throughput).
- Develop and evaluate automation-compatible high-throughput biochemical and cell-based assays for compound and target validation.
- Report on milestone delivery for internal development project and provide status updates to the organisation.
- Participate in the preparation of internal reports, presentations, and data packages for successful product launches.
- Create standard operating procedures and training documentation to aid the implementation of changes.
- Represent the business in client meetings and at scientific conferences.
- An advanced degree (M.Sc or Ph.D.) in biological science or related field, plus 3+ years of experience in cell line engineering and assay development (E)
- Experience in conducting technically challenging CRISPR editing projects, ideally in iPSC (E)
- Experience in conducting CRISPR screens (arrayed or pooled, CRISPR KO, CRISPRi or CRISPRa) (E)
- Experience with transfection/electroporation and techniques to modulate gene expression in mammalian cell model systems e.g. CRISPR-Cas9, siRNA, shRNA etc (E)
- Experience in maintaining and differentiating iPSC lines (D)
- Experience with lentivirus handling (D)
- Familiarity the implementation/development of automation for cell line screening and/or the interpretation of next generation sequencing data (D)
- Familiarity with monogenic rare disease research and genetic models of disease (D)
- A quality mindset, with enthusiasm and commitment to achieve aims within tight deadlines (E)
- Excellent communication skills, with a desire to mentor, lead and improve processes where possible (E)
- Ability to think outside the box and tackle challenges with a problem-solving, can-do attitude (E)
- The ability to work in cross-functional groups to transfer technology into other groups and support commercialisation (E)
- Good writing and communication skills (E)
E – Essential, D – Desirable
This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in pursuing a leadership career in a dynamic environment. To be considered for this opportunity you will possess up-to-date, hands-on experience in cell line engineering, CRISPR screening and high throughput cellular assays development, preferably in the life science or stem cell sectors. In return you will be offered an excellent salary and benefits package. Applicants should apply by sending their cover letter and CV to: email@example.com
DefiniGEN is a fast-growing provider of iPSC-derived human cell disease models and services to optimize preclinical research and accelerate therapies into the clinic. Our cutting-edge technology platform can generate predictive disease model human cells to support drug discovery, especially in orphan (rare) indications where no preclinical research models exist, and for global areas of metabolic disease research such as diabetes and NAFLD. The company uses CRISPR-gene editing to manipulate the genome of the iPSC, then differentiates the stem cells into biologically relevant human diseased cells for screening and preclinical development.
Located in beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our stem cell laboratories and office facilities on the Babraham Research Campus provides employees with a stimulating environment where the pursuit of scientific innovation and delivery underpin each role.