Senior Scientist (Gene Editing)
Salary: Competitive plus benefits including pension and share options
Location: Babraham Research Campus, Cambridge, UK
Type: Full time, Permanent Start: Immediate
Closing date: 7th June 2021
The CRISPR Gene-editing Team at DefiniGEN is seeking an experienced, highly motivated individual for the role of Gene Editing Senior Scientist who will lead the CRISPR team. The CRISPR team are responsible for the delivery of gene editing projects. Experience of working in a pipeline-type operation such as a CRO or academic core facility would be ideal.
This role would suit someone who has some management experience of a CRISPR editing group or is looking to take their first steps into team leadership. This is a permanent, full-time role initially as maternity cover for the current team leader but then as a senior member of the team. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in gene editing, both single and genome-wide, and must be skilled in cell biology, molecular biology, and analytical techniques. Additionally, familiarity with high-throughput screening/automation techniques and screening assays would be advantageous.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the CRISPR gene editing team at DefiniGEN.
- Conduct routine CRISPR gene editing projects on behalf of our clients.
- Plan, execute and implement new gene editing approaches.
- Conduct internal process improvement projects to drive efficiency and capacity within the pipeline.
- Participate in the preparation of internal reports, presentations, and data packages for successful product launches.
- Create standard operating procedures and training documentation to aid the implementation of changes.
- Ensure staff within the team are appropriately trained and resourced.
- Represent the business in client meetings.
- A degree in biological science or related field, plus 3+ years of experience in cell line engineering and assay development (E)
- Experience in conducting CRISPR editing projects, ideally in iPSC (E)
- Experience with transfection/electroporation and techniques to modulate gene expression in mammalian cell model systems e.g. CRISPR-Cas9, siRNA, shRNA etc (E)
- Experience in maintaining and differentiating iPSC lines (D)
- Familiarity with the implementation/development/ use of automation to support medium throughput gene editing (D)
- Familiarity with monogenic rare disease research and genetic models of disease (D)
- A quality mindset, with enthusiasm and commitment to deliver client projects within tight deadlines (E)
- Excellent communication skills, with a desire to mentor, lead and improve processes where possible (E)
- The ability to work in cross-functional groups to transfer technology between groups and support commercialisation (E)
- Good writing and communication skills (E)
E – Essential, D – Desirable
This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested taking their first steps into leadership in a dynamic environment. To be considered for this opportunity you will possess up-to-date, hands-on experience in cell line engineering and CRISPR editing, preferably in the life science or stem cell sectors. In return you will be offered an excellent salary and benefits package. Applicants should apply by sending their cover letter and CV to: email@example.com
Founded in 2013, DefiniGEN is a fast-growing provider of induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC)-derived human cell disease models to support preclinical research. This cutting-edge platform can generate disease model human cells to support drug discovery, especially in orphan (rare) indications where no preclinical research models exist, and for metabolic disease research such as diabetes and NAFLD. The company uses CRISPR genome editing to manipulate the genome of the iPSC, then differentiates the stem cell into human-like diseased cells for screening and preclinical development.