Stem cell and molecular biology
Salary: In the region of £18,500 - depending on experience
Location: Babraham Research Campus, Cambridge, UK
Type: Permanent, Full time
DefiniGEN are an exciting, high growth Cambridge UK Biotechnology Company who aim to become a market leader in the provision of stem cell products and CRISPR gene-editing services to the life science sectors. DefiniGEN uses its proprietary OptiDIFF production platform to robustly generate human cell types, including liver hepatocytes and pancreatic cells, from Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (IPSCs).
Our main production operation is comprised of two teams, one conducting CRISPR gene editing and the other differentiating the resulting cells via our OptiDiff platform. These teams are in turn supported by logistics, QC and media production resources. This post is a support role that will cross both our media preparation and QC teams. The post holder will prepare and qualify cell culture media for use by our main production groups and also assist the QC team with the collection and processing of QC samples.
This is a laboratory based position would be suitable for someone with an interest in a laboratory-based career in life sciences but does not wish to pursue a graduate-entry route. The position will require the preparation of media and the combination of the basic components that comprise them, therefore a good grasp of volumes, ratios and laboratory level maths will be essential for the role. The post holder will also be involved with the manipulation of mammalian cell cultures, so an understanding of basic human biology in combination with an attention to detail would be advantageous. This is an entry-level position so may suit a recent school leaver who has science A-levels (or equivalent) or someone who is returning to a laboratory-based career after a break.
- Prepare stocks of tissue culture media and other reagents required by the main production pipeline.
- Assist the QC team with the collection and processing of sample as required.
- Monitor the stocks of reagents and consumables within the laboratory and replace / order as necessary.
- Ensure that all reagents are within date, audit and dispose of any expired material
- Assist with the routine calibration and maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Carry out general laboratory house keeping and cleaning duties.
- Science A-levels (or equivalent) preferably with a focus on Biology
- Maths to at least GCSE standard, able to accurately calculate ratios and dilutions
- Good attention to detail, able to follow company SOPs and keep accurate records
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently when required
- Good communication skills
Applicants should apply by sending their cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org